I am not a morning person.
I think my natural cycle is roughly waking from 10AM until 2AM, and
sleeping from 2AM ‘til 10. This has been
one of the toughest physical adjustments with which I have been confronted and
am still struggling. I used to be an extremely
sound sleeper and would sleep through almost anything. But as I’ve gotten older, even though my
hearing has gotten worse, I nonetheless seem to have simultaneously gotten more
sensitive to sound, so that now the slightest creaking of the floor from the
apartment above me usually wakes me up.
Suffice it to say that the noises from the neighborhood are
way louder than the creaking of floorboards.
It starts at around 4:30 with a bird whose call is kind of like a
whiporwill only much more annoying. As
it continues, it becomes increasingly loud and frantic until you think either
it’s going to commit suicide or you’re going to murder it. At 5, the neighborhood roosters join in, and
there are a lot of them, like everyone got one when they moved in. At 5:30, my host mother gets up and starts
cooking. This is also when the monks
next door start chanting and sometimes when music from the public PA system
cranks up.
At this point, how long have I been awake? (See above with regard to my having become a
very light sleeper.) That’s right! Since 4:30.
(For those of you who know me well, at this point you should probably
close your mouths, which have no doubt fall open in disbelief.) I actually get up around 5:45 or 6 at the
latest, thinking that there is absolutely nothing to the saying about “early to
bed, early to rise…” I doubt very much
that the sleep deprivation is contributing anything to my health, wealth, or
wisdom.
Did I mention that I am not a morning person?
On the upside, you can get a lot done when you get up that
early. By the time I’ve left for school
at 7:15, I’ve showered, eaten breakfast, helped sweep the leaves from the yard,
practiced Tai Chi, given food to the monks, and studied a little Thai.
Thank goodness I discovered that my host mother drinks
coffee, and also where I can procure hot and iced coffee at almost any time of
day (and without a Starbucks anywhere in sight).
I simply cannot imagine you up at that hour on a regular basis. Wishing I could still sleep until 10am and that you could sleep at least until 8. You're messing with Mother Nature, you know.
ReplyDeleteYou should talk with Tim Webb about being woken up by the roosters. HA. I hope you can adapt to all that noise.
ReplyDeleteWhat a symphony of sounds… maybe more like an eclectic jazz composition. Public PA system??? For real? Well, good to be connected to your blog, Chris. How are the smells there (i.e. nature, food, garbage…)? Be well and I look forward to the next blog.
ReplyDelete