Caveat Lector!

*Caveat Lector!: The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or of the Peace Corps.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Frere Curry


There’s a cold going around, which has afforded me the opportunity to learn that Thais (or at least my family) do not believe in showering when you have a cold.  Or, at least that is what I thought when I was ushered out the door without a shower this morning, which, given the rising temperatures, left me feeling sticky and a little dirty all day.  I came home to discover that it’s only a cold shower that is prohibited.  Maybe had I known the words for “hot” and “cold” (which, ironically I actually learned later that day in language class), I could have avoided this.  Another reason to learn as much Thai, as quickly as I can.

I’ve also learned that certain noodle dishes with vegetables, sausages, and chilies are good for colds.  And while we’re on the subject of food, which I suspect will be a common theme in this blog, another item of gastronomic hilarity for my host parents occurred the other night, when in response to the by now already familiar refrain of “ginn hai mot” I finished what was in my dish, my host father (whom I call “older brother”) put the serving dish of “pad grapow muu gap blaa meuk” (pork and octopus stir fried with Thai basil) on top of my empty dish with a repeated “ginn hai mot!”  I dutifully finished this as well which (no big surprise) prompted him to put the other serving dish whose name I’ve forgotten or never knew on top of those two.  This was accompanied by hearty laughter and led to my learning a new expression: “Im jang leuey” (I’m stuffed), which I’m sure will get frequent use during my time here.

As for the title of this entry, it comes from a song that my host father taught me to the tune of Frere Jacques.  I won’t transcribe the transliteration but it’s all about the food (specifically red curry and hot soup) being ready, so come and get it!  I’ll leave off with the other phrase that has already gotten a heavy workout: “Aroi maak (falling tone),” or if it’s really good, just say the first word twice or repeat the second: “Aroi aroi” and “Aroi maak maak”!  Try it out the next time you go to a Thai restaurant and you’re sure to get a smile.

1 comment:

  1. I love it that Frere Jacques becomes a song all about food. How great that there were elephants!!

    ReplyDelete