How
to begin? Being a literature person, my mind naturally runs to literary
examples: Candide's "cultivate your garden," Socrates, “know thyself,”
Dante’s “nel mezzo del camin di nostra vita” and yes, nerd that I am, Bilbo
Baggins' "There and Back Again," although as I told a friend, I'm
hoping not to have any run-ins with trolls or orcs. These all offer some
perspective on my decision to take up Peace Corps service at this mid-way point
(at least, I hope) in my life. I’ll
leave it to you all to work out just what it is in each case.
This
is a decision that I did not undertake lightly.
It is also a decision that I was only able to come to because of my
relationships with many other people.
There is a Buddhist (but not exclusively so) idea that all beings are
inter-related, and I believe that this choice to spend a time dedicated to volunteering
arises from the idea of interbeing in the several ways, which I will not go
into here for lack of space, time, and clarity of thought. Suffice it to say that I would not be here
were it not for the support and inspiration of many others.
So,
I dedicate this blog to the many people who have supported me and in respect to
whom I hope I have in some measure reciprocated
a spirit of service and compassion, my partner, my family, my friends, and last
but by no means least my colleagues and students at the University of Michigan
(with special thanks to the GIEU program and the students who went with me to
India; you know who you are).
Yes, you are a nerd but we like you that way.
ReplyDelete