Caveat Lector!

*Caveat Lector!: The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or of the Peace Corps.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Home Away from Home



Imagine 48 families sitting in a room.  Across the aisle are 50 Peace Corps volunteers.  Each side is covertly or no-so-covertly eyeing the other, trying to guess whom they will be leaving the room with to live together for the next 8 weeks.  Excitement and not just a little anxiousness are palpable. 

After brief speeches and explanations in Thai and English, the families open sealed  envelopes they have been given to find a slip of paper with the name and picture of their volunteer on it.  Everyone stands up and they scan the rows across from them.  Pandemonium ensues as people greet one another, wai’s (a Thai gesture of respect consisting of placing the palms of the hands together chest or chin height and bowing the head; the height of the hands and depth of the inclination are dependent on relative age a social status) are given and received.  The air is filled with “Sawat-dii krap” (“hello” for men) and “Sawat-dii ka” (“hello” for women). 

My host family, as it turns out, are a couple of retired teachers: kruu (teacher) Burin and his wife, whose name I still haven’t gotten.  There is also a former student of kruu Burin’s.  Everyone has a nickname: Geng, Muu, O, Nu, Dtem (a student who works at the house on the weekends), and after a couple days, I was given one, too: Men (falling tone), which means porcupine.  I’ve been assured that this is because porcupines are considered strong, and not because I am prickly.

Geng, the father, speaks some basic English.  No one else appears to speak a word, although I suspect that the two students know a little.  Since he was a teacher, Geng is already working me hard on Thai, trying to teach me the writing system, which is insanely complicated and leaves me impressed that anyone here is literate. 

So far after one full day, we’ve been to a food market, a local festival (with a full scale staging of one of the wars with Myanmar, including live elephants), seen the ordination of a Buddhist monk (almost all Thai men become monks for a brief period), and begun to explore the community on our mountain bikes.  I’ve eaten too many different dishes to list, as well as about a dozen different kinds of fruit.  There were lots of fried bugs at the festival but I’m holding off on those for now.

I’ve run into a few other trainees while out and about, and everyone seems to be settling into their homestays quite well.  Among the most excited ones are those whose homestay families have wifi.  I am not among them, which is why this is late being posted, but what my homestay lacks in technology, it more than makes up for in generosity, which in what I perceive to be typical Thai fashion is often expressed through food.  (They packed me a lunch on the first day of “school” in spite of my vociferous if fragmented protestations, and have pressed snacks and fruit on me every day since.  One of the phrases most frequently addressed to me at the dinner table is “ginn hai mot,” or “finish it.”  More on this to come, but for now “paw laao” (it’s enough; I think this only applies to food, actually, but it will have to do for now).

No comments:

Post a Comment