Where to begin? I arrived in Rayong city without incident,
where I was met by my primary co-teacher and her husband (who also teaches at
the school). They drove me to the house
of the assistant to the principal where I would be staying during my visit to site. After I had exhausted my meager Thai
vocabulary, which is to say after about 15 minutes, my hosts and I continued to
smile at one another for another half hour or so and then they asked if I
wanted to go to a party. I should note
here that I still haven’t quite gotten the hand of some of the finer subtleties
of Thai such as whether I’m being asked a yes/no question about the past, being
invited to some future event, or being queried about a current preference. So, I just did what I general do in these
situations which is to smile some more and make vague sounds of
agreement/affirmation.
In this particular instance, I was gratified to discover
that I had in fact understood correctly when we actually got in the car and
drove to a big field with close to 400 8-person tables set up in it. At the front of the field a giant stage had
been erected, and there were a few big screens set up at intervals along the
sides. This turned out to be the celebration for the district mayor’s son
beginning his time as a monk (generally for 3 months; the Thai government
actually mandates paid leave for this), which most Thai men do when they turn
20 or so. Since this was the mayor, it
was a fancier affair than most, which in this case meant: 1) a bottle of
whiskey on every table; 2) a mix of Thai and Chinese dishes; and 3)
professional entertainment (instead of local high school talent).
I won’t go into an in depth description of the night’s
events, suffice it to say that a good time was had by all, and I got to meet
the principal of my school, who had been taught by a Peace Corps volunteer when
he was in high school. This was
gratifying because he told me that that experience was what started him on the
path to learn English and eventually go into education, which also means that
he is very supportive and is evidence that the Peace Corps has long-term, continuing
impact here.
My visit to what will be my home for the next two years was
a whirlwind of meeting people (e.g. the school teachers, students, and staff),
visiting potential homestay families (which is where I’ll be living for the
first 3 months), and seeing some of the local sights, such as an old market, a
restaurant on a mushroom farm, and of course the beach recently pictured on the right.
Everyone seemed very excited to have a volunteer coming, so
I’m hopeful that this carries through to my actual presence there, especially
once the novelty has worn off.
No comments:
Post a Comment