Caveat Lector!

*Caveat Lector!: The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or of the Peace Corps.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Endings, Beginnings, and Farewells


It’s hard to believe that training is finally over!  We’ve prepared and executed our last “camp” (this one an abbreviated version of a life skills camp, in which we basically just played games focused on teamwork with a bunch of 4th & 5th graders); we’ve packed our bags and boxes, and in many cases, bikes, which will be mailed to our sites; We had our last sessions on safety and settling into our sites, on getting a tutor to continue learning language, etc. etc.

The last couple weeks are pretty much a blur, and unfortunately the two moments that stand out most are both sad ones.  The first was saying goodbye to my host family.  In spite of the language barrier, we did become very close, and could actually joke with one another towards the end of my stay with them.  They don’t have email, so snail mail will have to suffice for staying in touch.  I’m hoping to visit them after about 3 months when all the volunteers will come back to some as-yet-to-be-designated location for some more training and professional development sessions.  The second was the departure of one of my better friends, an incredibly kind and thoughtful (in both senses) woman originally from Portland, but who had been teaching in China and rural Alaska for the past few years.

She was the fourth person of our group to return to the States.  It is an incredibly difficult decision to make, but I’m sure that it is easier to leave before establishing ties in a new community.  I can’t speak for my fellow volunteers, but each time someone has left, it has given me pause and made me reflect back on why I decided to join the Peace Corps, what I left behind, and the support of my partner, family, and friends, which enabled me to embark on this journey. 

Make no mistake, I have most definitely had moments when I’ve thought, What in the world am I doing here in Thailand?  Granted, they have also tended to coincide with episodes like when I got a mysterious rash on my arms and stomach, ultimately attributed to either the heat or an allergic reaction to mango leaves (I had gone mango picking the previous day), or when there was a festival at the wat (Buddhist temple) next door for three straight days, which meant three straight days of ear-splitting performances until 12:30 at night and chanting starting at 5 the next morning.  But such things aside and other than missing my partner, family, and friends, I have not had any serious doubts about being here.

Of course, now that training is done the real challenge begins, but that’s still in an undefined future, which will provide the main substance of this blog, so stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment