I am generally not one to take oaths. I was never a Boy Scout. I have never held public office. The last time I recall actually taking an
oath was when I was confirmed at St. Johns United Church of Christ, which was
over 30 years ago. So, it was a little
strange to be swearing to uphold the United States Constitution and to protect
it from all enemies foreign and domestic.
Apparently all government employees take this oath, although technically
I am not a government employee, at least I think so. This was the moment we had all been anxiously
awaiting, our official swearing in as Peace Corps volunteers. Trainees no longer, we were ready, at least
in the eyes of the training staff, to head off to our respective sites and
begin our work.
At a signal, we all rose together as the US Ambassador to
Thailand entered the hall. She was
followed by various Thai dignitaries and the Peace Corps country director. There were various speeches and introductions,
and then the moment came when we rose one again and took the volunteer oath. After another speech or two, the moment I had
been trying not to think about arrived when my fellow volunteer, Cailyn, and I
had to get up and make some brief remarks in Thai about our experiences of the
past ten weeks.
Just to keep you in suspense, let me relate a little story
leading up to our speech. As Cailyn and
I were walking into the hall, one of our teachers approached us and asked in
Thai if we were excited, which is something like “deuun dten.” I replied “no,” that I wasn’t “deuun dten” I
was “deuun glua,” which means terrified, as in of a wild animal. The teacher looked astonished and rather
taken aback and asked if I knew what that meant, to which I replied, “yes, of
course I know what that means.” She
looked even more taken aback, and said “deuun dtoa?” and I said, no not “deuun
dtoa,” deuun glua.” Her immediate relief
was evident, and she said she would explain what “deuun dtoa” meant later. As it turns out, “deuun dtoa” means sexually
excited, thus what she thought she heard me say was that I was turned on by the
prospect of giving a speech to an audience of Thai teachers, Peace Corps
volunteers, and sundry Thai and US government officials.
In any event, the actual speech was fine. I managed to keep my tones relatively under
control despite my extreme nervousness, and was complimented by many Thais
afterwards on how well I spoke. They
probably didn’t realize that I was just reading the translation of my speech
into Thai which my teacher had done. I
could have written it in Thai, but then it would have consisted of things like:
“This is delicious!” and “I’m going to take a shower,” or “Today I learned
about weather.” About the most
complicated thing I can say at this point is “I became a Peace Corps volunteer
because I want to help people.” Not
exactly the most profound or inspiring statement, though true enough in its
way.
I can relate. I feel an similar ambivalence about oaths to the nation. And once had a similar language moment: I told my host family that, on holy days, the Episcopal church gives you blow jobs. I was trying to say "burns incense." Why in the world would those words be so close? Happy Easter. Very happy.
ReplyDelete