Thank You, Teacher!
This is what every class at my school ends with. The class leader says, “Stand up, please!”
and everyone dutifully gets to their feet and says, “Thank you, teacher. See you again tomorrow (or “next time,” as
the case may be; I have not yet had the heart to explain that we don’t say “see
you again next time” in ordinary conversation)”. The manner with which this sentiment is
expressed varies from enthusiastic to perfunctory depending on the student, the
time of day, and how the lesson went, which seems only natural. And I would hazard to say that the students
do actually understand what they’re saying, which is not equally true of the
ritual exchange that begins every class:
“Good morning, teacher!”
“Good morning! How are you?”
“I’m fine thank you, and you?”
I know that they don’t all always understand what they’re
saying in this case because: 1) they often say “Good morning, teacher”
regardless of the time of day; and 2) if I throw a wrench in the works by not
asking how they are, or if when asked how I am, I say something other than “I’m
fine,” even if I follow it with “How are you?” I am often met with stares of
incomprehension. There is also the fact
that when asked “How are you?” outside the context of the classroom ritual, students
(at least at the beginning) were often unable to respond with anything other
than a shy smile or pretended not to hear, until I repeated the question, which
I invariably did.
In any event, what I am curious about and still working
towards an understanding of is if and how the general appreciation of teachers
and education (which numerous people have told me is central to Thai culture)
takes shape in the concrete conditions of learning for both students and
teachers, and in the conditions of labor for the latter. At my school, which I take to be relatively
average, there are three grades of kindergarden and grades 1-9. The classes range in size from around 20 to
40 students. The classrooms are crowded
(and usually hot, given the climate and the lack of AC), which makes any activity
that requires moving around on the part of the students challenging. There is a chalkboard made from cheap
materials, so it’s difficult to write on (and that’s about the extent of AV
equipment). The students stay in the
same room, and the teachers move from room to room, so teachers do not really
have their own space. But there is one
teachers’ room for each group of 3 elementary and secondary grades.
I haven’t figured out how access to teaching materials works
and whether I am given a special budget because I’m ‘the American’ or not, but there
seems to be enough to buy whatever paper, cardboard, markers, tape, laminate, etc.
that I need. I also have access to a
color printer and copier. I have no idea
what materials the other teachers use or how they teach for that matter since I
have never observed any classes other than my own, and even observing my
co-teachers never really panned out, as detailed in the previous post.
My host mom, who is the equivalent of a vice principal, told
me that all public schools are funded federally on a per student basis. So a school like mine receives an average of
$57 per kindergardener, $65 per elementary student (grades 1-6), and $117 per
secondary student (grades 7-9) annually from the Thai government. This money goes towards paying basic teaching
materials (pens, paper, chalk), equipment (AV, sports, extracurriculars, etc.),
and infrastructural maintenance costs (electricity, water, phone). (Teachers’ salaries are paid from a separate
fund, also federal.) Apparently, there
can also be supplements to the school budget from the local community or from
local businesses. It’s kind of hard to
work out comparisons because I have no idea how much things like utilities cost
here, and only a minimal understanding of how much pens and paper cost. That being said, it’s probably a fair bet
that the amount spent on education per student, relatively speaking, is far
below that in the U.S. What that money
gets you is an open question, which I will try to explore in future posts.
In any case, teaching is not a thankless profession in
Thailand (one aspect of which I’ll discuss in the next post). Even in the relatively brief time that I’ve
been here, I’ve seen the respect paid to teachers by students and in the
general community alike. It’s clear that
the title “teacher” carries weight in terms of your social status, and although
it’s actually embarrassing to me, I’m always introduced as Dr. Chris Luebbe. (I don’t have the heart to tell people that
in the States this title is of dubious social value at best.) So, however mechanical some of the “Thank
you, teacher”s at the end of class might be, I know that the general
educational endeavor in which I’m engaged is valued here. My only hope is that I can make concrete
improvements in how it’s carried out, at the very least at my school and for my
students, which if accomplished is more than thanks enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment