School Started on Tuesday, May 14. Do not be deceived, however, that this meant
that classes started, or that I started teaching. The first day was entirely devoted to
cleaning the school. The students were
assigned to different areas, which they swept, mopped, wiped down with damp
cloths, etc. Next came arranging and
decorating the classrooms, which took all of the second day. (Although I’m not sure what went on that day
since I haven’t seen much evidence of decoration at least in the rooms in which
I teach.) Then students in grade 6 (and possibly in grade 3 and 9 as well) had
to take a comprehensive exam on the basis of which they were divided into
different classes. After that I’m not
sure what went on, but whatever it was, it took up the rest of the first week.
In the second week, I was expecting just to observe to get a
sense of how my co-teachers usually taught and what level the students were at
so that I would better be able to plan lessons with my co-teachers. (During training some of the current
volunteers who had come in to lead sessions told us that they didn’t teach for
the first 3-4 weeks.) I expected this
because this is what we (my principal, my primary co-teacher and I) had all
discussed at the conference at the end of training, what I had also reiterated
with both of my co-teachers the one time that we actually met to plan for the
coming semester (more about which later), and reiterated a final time the week
before classes started.
So when the second week of school arrived, and classes
actually started, I was taken slightly off guard when, after the ritualistic
exchange of pleasantries with the students (“Good morning, teacher” “Good morning,
how are you?” “I’m fine, thank you. And
you?” “I’m fine, thank you. Sit down.”) my secondary co-teacher turned to
me and asked, “You have activity?” I
looked at her blankly. Then I looked at
the 37 4th graders staring at us expectantly. Then I looked back at her. She was probably thinking, “I thought the
American came here to teach English.
What is he waiting for?” And
possibly also, “Are all Americans this slow?”
My ability to think on my feet has a rhythm that I have yet
to fathom, but on that day it was at a sufficiently high phase that I was able
to come up with something, specifically, having the students compete in groups
to come up with as many words as they could in a given category (e.g. food,
family, animals, colors, etc.). This
experience also prepared me for the next class, where my primary co-teacher turned to me and said, “You
teach phonics today.” Fortunately, I had
actually been preparing to teach phonics anyway, so the class went fine, but it
basically meant that my ideas of initial observation went right out the window.
We had in fact been prepared for these kinds of things
during training, but it’s kind of like any purely potential or theoretical
misfortune; you never think it will actually happen to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment