Caveat Lector!

*Caveat Lector!: The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or of the Peace Corps.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Year in the Life

Having recently surpassed the one-year mark in my Peace Corps service (sort of, since this includes the 10-week training, so I actually still have 14 months to go), I thought it a good time to look back as well as ahead.  When I think back over the 3-year saga that brought me here, sitting in my little house on the school grounds, surrounded by the shouts of elementary school students as they play volleyball, soccer, and jump rope, the sounds of traffic from the two-lane ‘highway’ in front of the school, the whine of small engine motorcycles, the roar and grind of big transport trucks, looking out over pineapple fields and groves of rubber trees to the mountains in the near distance, it seems both miraculous and yet on the other hand, fairly mundane.  Miraculous in the way that any life event or situation results from a million contingencies that might have gone a different way (and so in a sense mundane for the very same reason); mundane in the sense that the path here was filled with the everyday and often tedious activities of filling out forms, making appointments, and just plain waiting, and also in the sense that life here is filled with everyday activities: planning and teaching classes, going to the market, playing volleyball, and just sitting around chatting with my fellow teachers.

I have to admit that although I tried not to have any expectations coming into this experience, I did have a few pre-conceptions of what I thought it might be like, derived mainly from talking with returned volunteers and reading a few blog entries of some currently serving volunteers.  I thought that I would have lots of down time; I thought that I might be living without running water and possibly electricity; I hoped that I would be able to successfully integrate into a community and make a difference in the lives of the people with whom I lived and worked.  As it turns out, I actually don’t have that much down time, have both running water and electricity, have been moderately successful at integrating into the community here, and have no concrete sense of whether or not I am making any significant difference.

This last seems to be a common phenomenon among Peace Corps Thailand volunteers (I can’t make any claims about Peace Corps worldwide).  We were told right from the start that of the three main goals of the Peace Corps (the first relating to the actual work of whatever program you are in; the second relating to your capacity as a representative of America and American culture; and the third relating to your endeavors to convey a sense of Thai culture to Americans, e.g. through blogs such as this) the first is often the one about which volunteers feel most frustrated and uncertain, and so we were counseled to keep goals 2 and 3 at least equally if not even more in the forefront of our efforts. 

My main difficulty with this is that I have a hard time saying what America and American culture are all about.  Should I say that Americans are individualistic?  That they are competitive?  Hard-working? Materialistic? Are any of these more true of more Americans than people from other countries?  And even were this to be the case, what purpose does it serve to say it?  If I say that Americans are generally individualistic, will this encourage Thais to make assumptions about any particular American they might meet in the future?  Will it help them to understand specific American rituals or ways of organizing society and social life?  Maybe, but I generally feel that any given characteristic or cultural phenomenon that I might adduce has so many exceptions, qualifications, or contradictions that I am hard pressed to explain it with any clarity, especially given that my language (much like that of my students’ English) has still barely surpassed the “fire bad” stage.

And this, indeed, remains my biggest challenge and source of frustration.  I am already not a talkative person by nature, so when saying the simplest things requires concentration and effort, I am all the more likely to remain passive and just listen.  This is not to say that I have made no effort to understand (how in Thailand) or explain (how in America) things like the education system, health care and insurance, political engagement, various rituals, ceremonies, and holidays, etc. work.  I have conveyed and gotten a basic understanding of these things.  I have also had conversations about relationships, family, career, politeness, privacy, respect, and the like.

And yet, there’s still always a nagging feeling of being on the surface of things.  I think of the movie “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly” in which a man is paralyzed and has only his left eye with which to convey the whole range of his thoughts and feelings.  Ok, so maybe I’m being a little dramatic, but the fact remains that an optimistic estimate of my ability to express everything I would like to comes in at around 50%.  (I’m sure everyone who knows me and wishes I talked more finds this highly ironic.)

To return to the three overarching goals of the Peace Corps, and in particular the first one, I know that I have made learning (and I think teaching, as well) English more fun.  And my co-teachers tell me that they think the students have learned more and better this year than previously.  I can only hope that whatever improvements I have contributed to making will both be sustained after I have left and have longer-range benefits for the students and teachers here.  And in terms of all three goals, I suppose the only thing to do in the coming year is try again, try harder, and let go.  (Rinse and repeat as needed.)


Coda: I have sometimes wondered why no one has asked about the “WCGW” in the name of this blog.  I guess it will remain a mystery…

No comments:

Post a Comment