At the end of last semester, Ek, one of the teachers at my
school whom I had sort of gotten to be friends with got a job at a school
closer to her home. When a teacher moves
schools a contingent from her old school goes to her new school to send her
off. The size and composition of this
contingent depends on the school and the school’s director. If the school is a high school, sometimes the
entire school will accompany the teacher, in which case the students get a day
off. In the case of elementary schools,
usually it’s just the director and the section heads. The teacher who is moving has no official say
in the decision. I found all of this out
after the fact as you’ll see below.
I first heard from one of my co-teachers that Ek had gotten
a new job. My co-teacher asked me if I
was going to the new school to send her off, to which I replied that I wanted
to but didn’t know. She said that she
wanted to go too but wasn’t sure if there would be room for her. Over
the course of the next several days, various teachers and administrative
personnel asked me if I was going and who I was going with, to which I
consistently answered that I wanted to go but didn’t know who I could go with,
because in fact, I didn’t. I had no idea
who else was going, or if I was actually supposed to go or not. No one had officially invited me or offered
me a ride. And I thought that my saying
repeatedly that I wanted to go would somehow indicate that I in fact wanted to
go, and that whoever was responsible for making these decisions would
eventually tell me if I was going and if so, with whom. I know, what was I thinking?
When the day finally arrived, one of the teachers told me I
could go with the assistant director of the school. I assumed, foolishly as it turned out, that
this meant that someone had actually spoken to her and arranged for me to go
with her. So, I waited in the office as
people, including the assistant director, came in and out. At a certain point, it seemed like people
were starting to leave, and the assistant director had gone out, but I assumed,
again foolishly, that she would be back to tell me when it was time to
leave.
After another half hour or so, one of the teachers saw me
and asked, “Aren’t you going to Ek’s new school?” I said that I wanted to go but was waiting
for the assistant director, to which she replied that everyone had already
left. She offered to call someone and
ask them to turn around and come back, but I told her not to go to the trouble. I then called Ek, who was already at her new
school, explained the mix-up, and asked her how to get to her school.
It was not complicated but did involve an hour ride in a
song taew (basically a covered pick-up truck with two rows of seats in the
back) and then another 2.5 hours in a van.
So, I arrived at Ek’s new school just as the send off meeting was
concluding, still not really sure if I was supposed to be there or not. It could have just been my uncertainty about
this, but it sure seemed like the awkwardness when I entered the meeting room
was palpable. I kind of hate the
expression “on the same page,” but in this case it, or perhaps even better,
it’s cousin, “in the same book” certainly applies.
No comments:
Post a Comment