Sanuk mai?
This question gets asked a lot. It means, “Is/Was it fun?” Along with “Aroi mai?” (“Is/Was it tasty”?)
and “Gin laeow reu yang” (“Have you eaten already or not (yet)?”), it probably
accounts for about 85% or even 90% of the questions I am/have been asked. I am not exaggerating. O.k. this might be in part due to the fact
that these are questions that can be asked multiple times a day, whereas “How
old are you?” and “Are you married (“yet,” since the assumption is that you aim
to be; and, if answered in the affirmative, the follow-up question, “Do you
have children (again, “yet”)?”) only need to be asked once by any given
person. But if you throw these in and
one or two other ones, they pretty much account for 99% of all questions I have
and, extrapolating from the past 7 months, will ever be asked here in
Thailand. But this is better saved for a
separate post, since what I want to write about is the phenomenon of the
English camp.
An English camp, in case you’re wondering, is a one or
two-day program of activities designed to both motivate students to learn
English and increase their English knowledge and skills. For reasons that I have yet to fathom, these
camps are extremely popular here. Some
volunteers have already had 3 or 4 of them.
They are also a popular way to share and practice English and/or
teaching skills and activities with English teachers, and even school
administrators. Although it’s difficult
to tell, I think they kind of work as a motivational tool, but I’m not sure
about how much students retain, since they’re basically just a once off, even
if they happen once a month. As any
language teacher will tell you, learning languages takes sustained effort and
lots and lots of repetition. However, if
the camp activities are worked into the school curriculum, they can work well
as a way of injecting a little more energy and excitement for learning English
into the students.
Our camp had 110 4th-6th
grade students from our school (obviously) and three other schools in the area. 3 of my fellow volunteers came in to help
out, and many of the teachers from my school also either helped out or
observed. In groups of 20-something, the
students went to sessions on phonics, listening, reading, speaking and
songs. The activities were designed to
be interactive and “student-centered,” and were led by 2 or more teachers and
volunteers. There were also whole group activities in the morning and after
lunch, mostly games and songs.
The date for the camp had been set a month previous, just
before I left to go the Peace Corps Reconnect (a 10-day long training session
and chance to reconnect, hence the name, with Peace Corps staff and my fellow
volunteers). Before I left I gave my
co-teachers complete sets of lesson plans from camps other volunteers had
already organized, and told them that they could look them over and potentially
adapt them for our camp. When I got back
to site, which was a week before the camp was to be held, there was no apparent
movement on the planning. This did not surprise
me, but it meant that that week (which was also the week that I moved to the
school) was just a wee bit more chaotic than usual. I kept trying to get a grasp on which
teachers would actually be helping out and which sessions they would be teaching. This seemed to change on a daily basis. The same was true of the camp schedule in
terms of which session would be held where.
I actually made final changes to the printed schedule on Friday
afternoon before the Saturday camp.
Since I’ve come to Thailand (although I was already sort of
used to this from India), I have learned to roll with the punches much more
than I had previously been accustomed to.
I generally like to have a plan, and I like it even better if it’s made
well in advance of the event. As a point
of comparison, in my previous job I was responsible for organizing an annual
fair for departments to showcase their various majors. It was a 4 hour affair, involving 60 some
departments and usually around 600 or 700 students. It was held in March every year. I began planning in December (having reserved
space at least a year and sometimes 2 years in advance). So, throwing things together a week, and
really the day before, would previously have stressed me out quite a lot. This time, it only required 2 or 3 moments of
remembering to breathe.
All in all, the camp came off very smoothly, especially
given that it was our first attempt.
There were occasional moments of chaos (a useful word to know in Thai),
but no one was killed or even seriously injured. The closing question that we asked the
students was “Sanuk mai?,” to which they responded with a resounding: Sanuk!!
With luck this will help to keep them motivated in the day-to-day learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment